Pages

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Amongst other more random entries you will find information about any current exhibitions where you can see my work, together with details of forthcoming life drawing and/or painting classes that I teach.

If you would like to know more about me my website has more biographical information and a large selection of images of my artwork.

Sunday 3 November 2013

Shapeshifter

"Shapeshifter"    Oil on canvas     91.5 x 107 cms.    2004
This painting of mine is currently displayed in Leamington Spa Art Gallery and Museum as part of the biennial rehang of the main art gallery. It is, too my knowledge, as yet the only painting of mine that has been acquired by a public collection (all my other works having disappeared into private collections). It is included in a "Medicate" themed rehang alongside works by Marc Quinn, Jason Oddy, Alexa Wright etc.. Why "Medicate"? Leamington, or Royal Leamington Spa to give it its full title, was until a few years ago famous for its healing waters and people came from far and wide to 'take' the spa water at the Pump Rooms. The art gallery is now in what used to be an NHS hydrotherapy unit within the Pump Rooms. In partnership with the Wellcome Trust, and in keeping with the buildings history, many works have since been collected with a medical theme. 

Many years ago while suffering from back pain I was referred by my doctor for treatment at the Pump Rooms and experienced the full range of hydrotherapy treatments under the supervision of the renowned, and I think last head of the hydrotherapy unit, the formidable Miss Golland. Alas, in my case, it didn't help alleviate the pain. It was however an interesting experience (it is one of the many redeeming features of being an artist that even the unpleasant parts of life are food for the imagination!)   

At the time (2004) when I painted “Shapeshifter” I had become intrigued by western society’s increasing interest in cosmetic surgery. People’s apparent dissatisfaction with their appearance seemed to intensify with the proliferation of ‘celebrity’ culture. The illusory perfection of these airbrushed icons became achievable to anyone with enough self loathing and money. Sadly, if you desired Jennifer Lopez's bum or Madonna’s breasts, there were plenty of surgeons willing to assist you – at a price. The emotional insecurity necessary to resort to such a drastic and often dangerous procedure is disheartening to contemplate.The use of same model for both the "surgeon" and the "patient" in the picture was intentional because it reflected my feeling that cosmetic surgery is often just a socially acceptable form of ‘self harm’.

I am always glad to have my work seen anywhere but I am especially pleased to be hung alongside works by Simon Lewty and Barry Burman both of whom I have known for many years (or, tragically, knew in Barry's case - sadly he took his own life some years ago). I hope that you can visit the gallery. Like many small municipal galleries they have some artistic gems and it is well worth a visit. Many, if not all, of the collection has been digitised and can be accessed via their website www.warwickdc.gov.uk/wdc/royalpumprooms  
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Highly recommend a visit to view 'shapeshifter'. The 'self harm' principle is powerful given Neil allows a deeper engagement with such narrative.