Pages

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Amongst other more random entries you will find information about any current exhibitions where you can see my work, together with details of forthcoming life drawing and/or painting classes that I teach.

If you would like to know more about me my website has more biographical information and a large selection of images of my artwork.

Tuesday 10 September 2013

The road to hull is paved with good intentions

"LIKENESS" Oil on canvas 81.5 x 56cms
This painting is currently on exhibition in Studio Eleven in the Fruit Market area in Hull. The exhibition is of figurative art including paintings, drawings, prints and sculpture. It includes works by many well known artists including Alison Lambert and Jake Attree.

My brother, Rob Moore, also a painter, is currently exhibiting his new work at the Ropewalk Gallery in Barton on Humber (at the southern end of the Humber bridge).

End of 'plugs'!

On a personal level - this glorious summer, so long awaited and so deserved, has whizzed by. My 'good intention' to do lots of new paintings has somehow been filled with exhibiting, teaching, home maintenance and many other 'time bandits'. While I haven't been very productive as regards painting I have done a lot of preparatory work and I can't wait to begin to explore the new ideas.

Unlike many artists I don't see things and want to paint them, -  I experience life (with all its vicissitudes) and try through painting to unravel its complexity. They are only 'attempts' and more often than not lead to more questions than answers. I am reconciled to not knowing (which is why I don't seem to require a religion). The one statement that the otherwise reprehensible, war mongering American politician Donald Rumsveldt made (and was, curiously, much derided for) that I concur with is "That there are known knowns, unknown knowns and unknown unknowns". The important thing for me is that, like the Olympic motto "It is not the winning, it is the taking part". When I finally slip off "this mortal coil' I will have at least tried to understand that which Paul Gaugin the painter so succinctly captured in the title of one of his paintings "who are we, where do we come from and where are we going" (forgive the bastardised quotations - the words are like my paintings 'metaphorical' but hopefully sometimes contain some insight).

More practically, I don't have any gallery to represent me and take care of selling my work and the paintings are stacking up (storage is becoming a real problem). I don't want to spend any more time than I already do on 'marketing' - I don't like it and I am consequently not very good at it. So if there is anyone out there in cyberspace that can help I will be eternally grateful.  

No comments: