Pages

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Amongst other more random entries you will find information about any current exhibitions where you can see my work, together with details of forthcoming life drawing and/or painting classes that I teach.

If you would like to know more about me my website has more biographical information and a large selection of images of my artwork.

Saturday 20 October 2012

Always look on the bright side of life

I often say (only half jokingly), when urging drawing students to try using black and white media on a half-tone paper, that it is like "life" - "mostly grey with the occasional highlights and dark patches". My own life recently has been more akin to indian ink on white paper - no half tones.
                                                                                                            Last summer (or the season previously known as summertime) was an unexpectedly fallow period for me. Generally I manage to spend the majority of my time indulging myself by creating paintings and drawings, but all manner of things conspired to get in the way and I was hardly able to get in my studio. This enforced break really brought it home to me how much I need the solitude of my studio to cope with the vicissitudes of life.  It is entirely possible that I need my 'art' more than the artworld needs me.


"Kirsty"                   40.5 x 30.5cms.             Oil on canvas 

 I was very fortunate to persuade a former model (Kirsty) to come up from London and spend a few precious days of her annual leave working for me. For over a decade she has featured in, and inspired, more paintings and drawings than any other. Kirsty has this rare empathic ability to register in her expression the subtlest of emotional states that I require of her (she would make a brilliant film actress). I am presently using the imagery I gathered from her for my new work (see illustration) which will hopefully be included in my next exhibition in April 2013 at Nigel Walker's new gallery Creation Fine Arts, Beverley, Yorkshire. This will be my first gallery exhibition with my wife, Jane, who will be exhibiting her enamelled silver jewellery alongside my paintings and drawings. 




Autumn 2012 Life Drawing and Painting Classes

Alongside my own work I continue to organise, and teach, life drawing and painting classes. My regular thursday evening class is full this term but I have a couple of Saturday 'workshops' scheduled. The first is a life drawing day on Saturday the 3rd of November and this is followed by a life painting day(single pose) on Saturday the 1st of December. These workshops are held in the fully equipped art studio above Shottery Memorial Hall, near Stratford on Avon. They start at 10am and finish at 4pm and the cost is £40 for the day (which includes paper and light refreshments). Please contact me if you would like to book or require further information by clicking on this link .                                                             

No comments: